Organ Transplant Recipients of SWFL Inc.
The monthly meeting of the Organ Transplant Recipients of SWFL Inc. was called to order at 11:38 a.m. on May 3, 2018 at The Sanctuary located at 8960 Colonial Center Drive in Ft. Myers by Shamie Kelly, President.
- Anniversaries: Chelsea Bley-Kidney (5/96), John Craig-Heart (5/1/1993), Joseph C. Haug, Jr.-Heart (5/2/1997), Michael Janvier-Kidney (5/27/2002), Greg Okon-Heart (5/14/2007), Wayne Ormsby-Kidney (5/30/2003), Norma Waughn-Liver (5/1/2002)
- Visitors: Peter Meehan- 2nd or 3rd visit, currently in stage 4 liver failure seeking out second opinions, advice of other patients, and exploring transplant hospitals. Lois Carnes- new member, attended Jason’s Deli fundraiser at which time she decided to join our group. Received two lung transplants, one in 2003 and one in 2007 and she has just learned that her kidneys have been compromised by the immunosuppressants so she is looking for a referral to a good nephrologist in the area for continued monitoring of her condition.
- Member Updates/Celebrations: Today is our treasurer David Weinstein’s birthday! Janet and David have brought a cake to share with us to celebrate his special day. He will also be having eye surgery next week and this is the last eye surgery that he will be able to have so please keep him in your thoughts during this time. President Shamie Kelly will now be taking an “active member” role within the Junior League which is a change from her much more involved role in the past. Jenniene Moran’s son will be traveling to Argentina soon and he has made first class flight arrangements for her to travel out to his home where she will care for her grandchildren while he is away.
The Secretary’s report was approved and submitted for posting to the website. Treasurers report shows a previous balance of $3161.95 with contributions of $5.00 in membership dues, $55.00 from the monthly 50/50 drawing, and $7835.32 which is 50% of the Night for Life XI proceeds mutually agreed would be given to the group this year for promotional materials resulting in $7895.32 in deposits. $65.43 was paid to Shamie Kelly for food leaving an ending balance of $ 10991.84
- Night for Life XI-
David Weinstein suggests members of the group start planting the seed now with our regular contributors and sponsors that our next Night for Life event date will be announced soon so that they will have it in the forefront of their minds when asked again soon to participate. Shamie Kelly agrees and hopes to begin planning by the end of this month. As a reminder the 50% agreement of proceeds from the event coming back to the group was for this year only, a new agreement will need to be decided as to what percentage will come back to the group going forward. Shamie plans to talk to the Lee County Medical Society to gain their support for the event. To ensure the events success, more group member participation is required. Shamie Kelly and Melissa Tuff will work on updating the groups use of technology, more specifically the creation and implementation of a Square, PayPal, or both to allow for the purchase of event tickets online as well as the ability to accept donations electronically via the website and Facebook pages.
- Jason’s Deli-
Our most recent fundraiser held at Jason’s Deli netted our group $4, we will begin planning our next fundraiser at the June meeting. Location to be decided upon at that time.
- Fundraising Opportunities-
Although our last fundraiser did not net a significant amount, we were able to make some promising connections. The marketing manager for Texas Roadhouse happened to stop in for dinner and took Melissa Tuff’s business card to discuss potential fundraising opportunities in the future with them at their Fort Myers location. Melissa will follow up as she has not heard from him yet. Melissa will also do some research into other comedy clubs besides the Laugh-In Comedy Café where we have held our previous fundraisers so that we will have more variety of location.
- June Speaker-
We anticipate having a speaker next month from Riverchase Dermatology
- Upcoming Events for Possible Group Participation-
We are in the United Way’s directory. Paul Lewis will work with his contacts to see about setting up a information table at FGCU to educate students on the importance of organ donation. September 29th is the Walk like MADD Dash at Jet Blue Park, Shamie will find out about how we can get registered to have an information table at the event as we have participated in the past. Shamie would also like to organize a “Give Life Day” at Bell Tower to be completely hosted by our group. Shamie is also meeting with Chris at Quick Copy to create our promotional materials and she hopes to have some proofs for the group to review at the June meeting. Melissa Tuff suggests a possible weekday or weekend 5k fun run/walk in downtown Fort Myers to raise awareness for organ donation and the support group. Paul Lewis will also try to gather information on who we need to contact to organize such an event.
Members are encouraged to bring family and friends to become members of the support group. Also be sure to take group flyers to leave in the medical offices of any physicians that may be treating them so that other patients may see them and become interested in joining the group. The discussion has come about again to hold a quarterly evening or weekend meeting for those who would like to be members but cannot attend due to work or other scheduling conflicts. Next month we will discuss this further and try to plan for our first meeting of this type to be held in August.
- Night for Life XII-
This year’s forms will have a space to indicate whether sponsors plan on using their seats and if so, how many will be in attendance. A follow-up will be done to verify this number at least one week prior to the event as to prevent any confusion or empty tables.
Meeting was adjourned at 1:50 p.m. by Shamie Kelly, President. The next general meeting will be at 11:30 a.m. on June 7, 2018, at The Sanctuary located at 8960 Colonial Center Drive in Ft. Myers.
Minutes submitted by: Melissa Tuff, Secretary